AZLRO
  • ¬†¬†webmaster@azlro.org

New Battery

2 years 1 month ago #8652 by RovnAZ
So, the battery in the Ninety was, indeed, on its way out. It wasn't holding a charge too well and wouldn't charging completely. It is a DieHard Platinum, so I pulled it and lugged the 80lb battery over to a Sears Auto Center and had it checked. Sure enough, it was definitely bad. So, come to find out, Sears has discontinued the Platinum battery line and didn't have anything equivalent to replace my bad battery. They still show various Platinum batteries online and indicate various local stores have them in stock, but when I call about them, the stores don't have any. So, back to the ole interweb for a bit of research. I started looking for an Odyssey PC2150 (group 31M) as I prefer to run 1 larger battery as opposed to 2 regular sized (group 34) batteries. With a price point around $450 for a local source, wasn't particularly looking forward to that. I did come across the X2Power batteries that are sold by Batteries Plus Bulbs. They are a sealed AGM, Absorbant Glass Mat, style battery using pure lead for the mat material and comes with a 48 month warranty. After some additional research, discovered the X2Power batteries are made by NorthStar batteries, in Ohio I think, and seem to have a fairly decent reputation with the off-shore fishing guys. Being ~$100 less than the Odyssey and available just down the street from me, that's what I went with.

The new battery is about .25" taller so I had to move some runs around in my battery compartment to ensure the cover wouldn't contact the positive terminal, I got it installed, secured, and hooked up. The fully charged battery makes a world of difference in starting the truck. Hardly have to crank it before it fires right up. Although its a bit early to draw any than initial conclusions, its off to a good start.

Rob

1984 90
2004 Discovery II (Dead)
1997 Tahoe
KE7VGU
- Rob Woodward

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago #8653 by billj214
Good information... I always recommend the Sears Platinum which I have on my car and camper, didn't realize they quit carrying the Platinum which were mostly made by Odyssey but much cheaper. I can vouch that my camper battery is over 4 years old and still works great, as for my car it was not made by Odyssey and gets replaced every two years same as most batteries but has 8 or 10 year warranty so has not cost me a dime in the past two or three replacements. I would like to find an option to install the OHM battery as primary to start the car with a secondary Odyssey to carry the load, not sure what kind of controllers would be able to do this.

Bill

2 years 1 month ago #8654 by James Howard
I got an Odyssey group 34 marine battery from Amazon for $330 with free shipping, the starting versions are significantly less than that.

I have the larger 31 in the Dormobile, but the battery boxes in the RR are a lot smaller.

1968 Land Rover Dormobile
1992 Range Rover
N1JH

2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #9915 by Roverowner
So, this being a 2 year old thread, where are we at with "best battery for the buck"? I've got to replace my Sears battery before I can continue to troubleshoot (diesel re-power).

Brian
95 Disco
International 2.8

1 week 6 days ago #9916 by James Howard
The Sears Diehand Platinums were rebranded Odysseys. We replaced ours with those The Platinums lasted 8 years in the AZ heat, and were abused, so we decided to keep the same battery.

1968 Land Rover Dormobile
1992 Range Rover
N1JH

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Newsletter